Social Work

The team’s social work service is here to help with many everyday concerns that may affect people when they're living with CF, to try and make a bit life easier.

Our role is to provide support, to advise about social resources and how to get access to these.

We get involved in a wide range of issues that adults with CF have to deal with, such as:

  • Transition – Supporting young adults from paediatric to adult care.
  • Education - applying for student grants or benefits and making sure your college or university know about any specific needs that might arise due to having cystic fibrosis
  • Employment - looking for your first job, thinking of changing your job or reducing your hours, knowing about employers’ responsibilities and about benefits you might be entitled to claim while working
  • Finances - claiming benefits such as Disability Living Allowance and finding out about any other allowances that might be relevant to you, depending on your health and/ or your financial circumstances
  • Housing - understanding your options when you're wanting to move into place of your own and whether you're eligible for any grants to help you get settled in
  • Transport - finding out about the Motability car scheme, vehicle tax exemption, the blue badge scheme, grants for driving lessons, travel pass concessions, help with hospital travel expenses
  • Personal care - getting advice about care packages if you're having difficulty managing at home or about support for carers
  • Holidays - being aware of any grants available and getting information about travel insurance
  • Benefits – Offering support with form filling and advice when claiming benefits.
  • Bereavement and End of Life support - This is aimed at both families and patients when facing this difficult time of life.

Get in touch

The CF social work service can be contacted on the following numbers:

Telephone: 0121 424 2998
Mobile: 07740 066704


Team members

Click on a team member for more information

  • Jacqui Wainwright

    CF Social Worker

  • Kaywane Wickham

    CF Social Worker



From the Blog

We are really excited to be able to continue to offer our patients the opportunity to take part in CF specific online support group sessions. These sessions will take place on the 1st Tuesday of each month at 7pm with additional drop in sessions on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at 1pm and 7pm. These sessions are externally facilitated by Claire Nash, a local psychotherapist who has been running these groups for the last 9 months.

Read the full article about Take a look at our Online Support Group for people living with CF
Read more articles from our blog