What ward will I be admitted to?
You will be admitted to Ward 26. This is a purpose built ward for adults with cystic fibrosis. It consists of 20 single rooms, all with en suite facilities. We have 20 single bedded rooms, all with en-suite facilities. Four of these rooms are located in a separate area, away from the main ward, for patients suffering from more resistant infections.We also have a fully air-conditioned gymnasium.
What should I expect if I am admitted to hospital?
Sometimes you will need to be admitted to hospital so that you can have some help receiving your treatment. When a date of admission has been agreed, the ward will contact you between 09.00 - 13.00 on that day to inform you about when a bed will be available for you and the time you should arrive on the ward.
What do I need to bring in from home?
- The usual everyday clothes/nightwear
- Insulin pens and pen needles
- Blood sugar monitors and blood testing strips
- Air compressor and pots
- NIV machines
- All nebulised medication including Dnase and Tobi
- Any airway clearance equipment e.g. flutter
- Extension sets for gastrostomy button
What are the visiting times?
The Trust operates an open visiting policy , however preferred visiting times are 9 am - 10 pm.Permission for children to visit must be gained from the nurse in charge prior to visiting.
Can my visitors stay overnight?
Family or friends are allowed to stay overnight in special circumstances only. This must be discussed with the nurse in charge. If permission is given for family or friends to stay overnight a relative's room is available on Ward 26. Children are not permitted to stay overnight on the ward or in the relative's room in accordance with trust policy.
When will I see the doctors?
There is a consultant ward round twice a week and a registrar review on the other days.
What is available to me during my admission?
- A laptop computer with internet access and TV channels
- Your own fridge
- There is free parking for individuals who receive certain benefits. A 20 exit parking pass may be purchased for £10.
- There is a cash machine, outpatient pharmacy, Marks and Spencer’s food hall and café in the main entrance of the hospital.
Am I allowed to use my mobile phone?
The use of mobile phones is allowed in patient rooms. However, they should not be used during treatment times and ward rounds.